Thursday, May 17, 2007

Happy Bike to Work Day!

I just discovered that May 18 is Bike to Work Day in Iowa. Was planning to do that anyway -- since I don't have 16 places to be -- but it's good to know I'll be part of a larger movement.

The forecast looks ideal for the first (finally!) of our Friday noon rides. Katie, Brian and I have committed to it. If you're in the area, join us at noon outside Clark Racquet Center on the lovely Coe campus. We'll shoot for 10 miles on the Cedar River Trail. Lockers and showers are available in the Racquet Center.

A movement appears to be taking hold for a Driving Directions from 1821 Bever Ave Se, Cedar Rapids, IA to Cornell College, 600 1st St W, Mt Vernon, IA">26-mile ride (round trip) to Cornell Ram land on Sunday. Tentative plans call for departure from Map of 1821 Bever Ave Se Cedar Rapids, IA 52403-2631, US">my house at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Locals are also encouraged to check out Hawkeye Bicycle Association, which hosts regular rides of varying degrees of difficulty throughout the year. One need not be a member to ride with this group, which includes many Kohawks.

Out-of-state members of Team CoeBRAI are on their own for training rides, but I do have some information for anyone planning to ship their bike to Cedar Rapids. Please contact me and I'll hook you up with a local bike shop with strong ties to Coe.

Today Kate and I completed the last of our calls to our overnight hosts at six of seven stops and I'm quite pleased to report that dinner will be provided at three stops -- Tuesday in Hampton courtesy of Tess and Henry Wieck (parents of Joe '04), Wednesday in Cedar Falls courtesy of the Coe Alumni Office in cooperation with Barb and Al Poe (parents of Anson '08) and Thursday in Independence courtesy of Coe Admission staffer and parent Mary Ohl.

Also hosting are David Springer '94 in Rock Rapids, Tarrel Zweibahmer Story '93 in Spencer and Colleen Ries '04 at her parents' home in Dyersville. The generosity and enthusiasm of all of our hosts leaves me most optimistic about our approaching journey.

I shouldn't be surprised, given my RAGBRAI experiences the past two years, but I never want to take hospitality for granted either.

1 comment:

kmc70e said...

Andrew & I will join you sunday as well for the ride to Mt Vernon and back. See you at 1pm on Sunday.