Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Humboldt housing offer


I had already thrown in the towel when an e-mail arrived tonight informing me of a housing possibility in -- or rather, near -- our last holdout overnight town, Humboldt.

There's a family that would like to accommodate us for the evening, but the location is eight miles south of town. They are willing to let us use the bath and shower facilities and they have a wonderful yard with a picturesque view of the Des Moines River.

The alternative is taking our chances at the Humboldt County Fair Grounds, which we would share with thousands of riders.

Day 2 to Humboldt is already the longest day of RAGBRAI at 77.4 miles (100 for those so inclined). Are you willing to ride an extra eight miles for the prospect of peace and quiet and, at least potentially, a warm shower? Or would you rather conserve the mileage in favor of what will most closely represent the true RAGBRAI experience -- crowds, portopotties and group showers that are most likely cold? Keep in mind, the housing option would also add to day 3's mileage, although we might be able to find a shortcut.

I've already inquired as to whether the extra eight miles are paved. If there's any gravel, I won't accept. Assuming it's paved, what is your pleasure? I need to hear from each of you ASAP regarding this important decision that I'm not comfortable making without your input.

In other news, I learned today that we'll have our sag wagon/rental truck on Friday night prior to our Saturday departure. This was a huge relief as I was beginning to stress about loading bikes and gear for 25 riders on Saturday morning and still depart by 10 a.m. Now, I can encourage everyone to bring their bikes or personal belongings (packed in a 30-gallon plastic container, pictured above) or both to the Friday night pasta dinner. I'll park the Ryder right outside the cafeteria, and we can get a head start on loading.

Out-of-towners might consider getting their bikes loaded early. Locals might want to bring their personals on Friday, and bike to Coe Saturday morning.

Speaking of Friday's dinner, I need to provide a headcount. Please let me know if you plan to attend and if you will be bringing any guests. They are welcome to attend as well. If you're not attending, I'd like to know that as well.

Speaking of out-of-towners, if you need housing before and/or after the ride and haven't made arrangements with me, please do so. Coe is graciously making rooms available to us in Voorhees Hall, but I need to secure these accommodations in advance.

Lastly, Cornell officially declined my kickball challenge today. Conventional wisdom says they're just tired of losing to Coe. That means we can focus our energies on beating Wartburg.

No comments: