Friday, March 7, 2008

Fast, fast, fast. I'm gonna be fast.

Dear y'all;

Ok, "fast" is a relative term. But I've bought me a new bi-cycle. Rather than the near 20-something-year-old 10 speed Schwinn I was noted for in last year's COEBRAI, this year I'll be riding a 2008 Cannondale Synapse Sport 7. (Yes, I said "seven"). It's blue, a color noted for it's aero-dynamisms; it's got pedals; it has twenty-seven really fast gears. And I am able to transfer my gel seat to this high performance model. Stand back.

PLUS: I bought what is known as a "trainer". This means that, just like I did last night, I can ride my bike in my living room, and not hit anything. Any time I want. Ok: technical explanation - the rear wheel is held up with some kinda doohicky, but it still spins round and round.

This trainer came with a video, too; so I'm practicing speed racing with persons in a 2004 national race held in Downers Grove, IL. Yet another sign of speed: Downers Grove is known to be a fast, fast place.

Anyways, just to send the random blog, I conclude: Doug, I may come closer to keeping up with you this year. Katie, if you're out there: I'm going to be drafting all the way up hills behind you. Hopefully, close enough to actually draft. Love to write more, but I'm just too darn fast...

Bob

3 comments:

kmc70e said...

Is Doug back this year? The amazing duo of Bob and Doug will be reunited? That would be wonderful news. If Doug's not going can someone please contact him and encourage him to come along this year. I am so excited for RAGBRAI this year although I swore off my bike when we got back last year. Sounds like I should start riding my bike everywhere to make sure I can keep up with Bob and the NEW BIKE. I am very excited to see the new bike and I hope the new bike doesn't get flats like the old bike, although by the end it was pretty comical. I am excited for all the future blogs. Its tax season and life is pretty boring when you hang out with bean counters for 15 hours a day. I could use some excitment! Downers Grove isnt too far from Chicago, I might have to go train there if it promises you that you'll get fast. I could use some help with speed. Until next time - Katy

Lonnie said...

Bob is so fast, he even types in double time -- apparently. Remember, though, it's a ride, not a race. No prizes for first place.

Doug said...

Yes, I'm back......

Bob are you going to bring the old one along just in case? I trust this one comes with quick release hubs, though as I recall that farmer with his wrench worked almost as well. I was hoping that this bike came with some of those special tubes like you had on the old bike that go flat with a big bang! That is especially exciting when it happens as you are pumping them up. As I recall from last year, you had trouble keeping up on the downhill bits (what there were of them) so maybe you should think about setting your trainer up with the bike facing down your stairs to practice downhill riding. Another thought is the wind. The only wind we seemed to have was that head wind out of the south. If you were to set a fan up in your living room you could work on riding into the wind. Remember to put it infront of you. You are going to negate the value of your training if you put it behind you and simulate a tailwind. I was wondering Bob, do you practice wearing your helmet when you are using the trainer? I'm just warming up....