Monday, June 29, 2009

Wear Your Helmet

A Cautionary Tale

Saturday morning I went out for a ride, looking to get in some quality miles before the heat and traffic built up later in the day. Time is getting short before Ragbrai and I don't know if it's anxiety or a competitive spirit that's starting to kick in, but I sure don't want to embarrass myself on the ride. I had a good training ride and was just turning into my driveway when I hit a wet spot and as a result of wet pavement, algae and mud the bike went out from under me. I've taken a spill from my bike before, but what was shocking about this tumble was how fast it happened. I wasn't even going that fast, as I was turning into my driveway, but one minute I was on the bike and the next I was on the ground. No time for recovery. No time to try and protect myself. Just Boom! and you're wondering how you wound up on the ground. Fortunately, I'm fine. My helmet tapped the ground, I've got some road rash and I'll be sore for a few days, but it certainly reminded me of why we wear helmets. Don't ever ride without yours.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks. In the meantime, I've decided that the best remedy for road rash is alcohol, internally applied.

1 comment:

Bradley said...

John, I recommend you get a new helmet if you haven't already. They are really only designed for one impact so the next time you hit the deck it probably won't be as effective. Brad