Thursday, March 18, 2010

Biking -- like the weather -- in fits and starts

Ten miles to and from work and an appointment to give plasma today represented an inauspicious start to my 2010 biking season. Coming two days later than last year's personal best first outdoor ride, today's miles may be all she wrote for March given the extended weather forecast.

A springlike week peaked today with a local high of 62. With my bike in the shop for a tuneup, I removed my son's from the trainer once it became apparent that today would surpass the 60 degree threshold. Google maps passed my first test of its new bicycle routing feature as I plotted a 10-mile ride from home, to Coe, to Biolife and home again.

I bundled up for the mercifully short morning ride to work. A light jacket sufficed for the after work ride to the plasma factory and I was glad to have packed lights for the ride home.

Alas Friday's forecast -- once pegged for mid-60s -- has deteriorated quickly and the temperature now looks to peak in the mid-40s with afternoon rain turning to snow into Saturday. Weather.com tells me we won't touch 60 again through March 27.

It's just as well though as spring baseball season begins Saturday. My son, vying to become a varsity starter in his junior year, has double headers scheduled each Saturday and Sunday through the first of May. I sure hope biking weather returns between now and then.

No comments: