Friday, July 23, 2010

Storm before the calm

Fitting that we're experiencing a thunderstorm on the eve of our departure for Sioux City and the start of RAGBRAI. The Friday before is always hectic, and today was no exception.

Nineteen of us gathered in the Coe cafeteria for a spaghetti dinner and a chance to meet our constant companions for the next eight days. Among us are a firefighter, a chiropractor, an athletic trainer, a neurologist and a tour guide. I'd say we're in good hands.

I couldn't be happier with the preload as 17 bikes are ready to go! That leaves just six to load in the morning. Our newly reinforced transport system is proving its worth. The sight of dozens of bikes loaded for transport to RAGBRAI still gives me the chills -- or perhaps it's just dehydration.

Tomorrow promises to be much calmer with a six-hour bus ride to the start of our adventure. After months of planning, I'm excited to get started. I think we've got a good team. We might just win!

No comments: