Saturday, June 23, 2007

RAGBRAI 101: Roll with the punches

"You can't always get what you want" is not only the greatest lyric ever, it's also the first, last and only rule of RAGBRAI -- and, apparently Swine Trek.

We had last-minute plans to camp, but scrapped them at the last minute when a steady rain settled in Friday night. We left home shortly after 6 a.m. in order to arrive in time for registration and a 7 a.m. departure from Pleasant Creek State Park.

It was cold and we were under-dressed, but determined. We felt good arriving in Center Point about 8 a.m. and stocked up on fruit and cherry donuts. But when we went to leave I discovered my front tire was flat. Inflation proved futile, so I replaced the tube with the spare I always have with me. (Lesson #2)

By the time we discovered the route out of town, my front tire was flat again and our ride was over. We summoned a sag wagon and rode back to Pleasant Creek, 10 miles in to what was supposed to be a 50-mile ride.

I traded a two-hour wait for the chicken dinner for getting our bikes in for a tuneup (Lesson #3) and proceeded immediately to Northtowne Cycling. They tell me it will be two weeks; I pray it will be shorter.

In review:
Lesson #1 -- "you can't always get what you want."
Lesson #2 -- carry a spare tube
Lesson #3 -- get your bike tuned up at a reputable shop that will assure RAGBRAI readiness

2 comments:

Brian said...

Bummer... We were wondering whether you made it out of Center Point. The ride went pretty well, aside from the mist and then rain.

Lonnie said...

Oh, that wouldn't have been good at all. We didn't get the mileage in we had hoped, but Zach got a taste of a RAGBRAI morning and I was reminded that I am capable of waking at dawn. And we stayed dry.