Friday, May 9, 2008

100 miles in record time

So, how's your training going? I'm happy to say I'm ahead of pace, having surpassed 100 miles in the saddle today. Tom Hicks and I enjoyed a noon ride along the trail and had lunch at Jerseys. I'm thinking I shouldn't have to count the calories in the french fries they brought me since I ordered cottage cheese.

So, due largely to my Florida vacation and considerably less to the Iowa climate, I'm at 109 miles. Last year, before I wound up biking only five of the seven RAGBRAI legs, I didn't pass 100 miles until May 22. In 2006, the year of the cattle truck rescue, it was June 30. Back in 2005, when this obsession started, I bought my bike two weeks from now. On June 12 of that year, I set a personal best riding 13.4 miles to and from my son's baseball games to surpass the 100 mile mark.

Three years later the odometer reads 2,217 -- not counting 70 miles in Florida -- and I'm as fired up for RAGBRAI as I've ever been. Losing 40 pounds certainly helps. I really like the route. The jerseys are cool -- both the RAGBRAI and CoeBRAI versions. Most of all, I'm excited about the returning riders and anxious to give the newcomers an experience of a lifetime.

3 comments:

kmc70e said...

Lonnie - I love your enthusiasm. It makes me want to get my bike tuned up and start adding up the miles. Problem is there wont be any miles with hills this year - we could be in a world of hurt.

Bobu85 said...

Hey,

You're a role model. Weight loss, exercise, Packer backer...who could ask for more? Way to go.

I'm at 91 miles, including my round trip to Mt. Vernon on Sat. (windy, windy.) We're goin!

Bob

Lonnie said...

Bob, you shouldn't ride to Mt. Vernon without a witness. What if you were to get clipped by a car?