Sunday, July 22, 2007

Hello Spencer


Day 1 of RAGBRAI XXXV is in the books, and I have yet to get on my bike. The plan was to drive to Spencer, unload our gear and shuttle back to Melvin so I could at least get 35 miles in.

That was not to be as it took three hours to drive the circuitous route from Rock Rapids to Spencer and I wanted to get the RV issues nipped in the bud. We unloaded our gear on the curb of our Spencer hosts, Terrel and Jamie Story, who greeted us with homemade signs and cold water. Judging from the looks of this picture, we got the better end of this deal.

Lisa and I headed promptly for Walmart, where we obtained the necessary sewer drain pipe. Then we found a nearby campground, where we were finally able to dump our dirty water and refill with fresh. That warm shower is going to feel great. After a stop at Hy-Vee for ice and groceries, I'm now quite comfortable inside my air conditioned camper. I might even take a nap.

Though I would have preferred to bike today -- that is, after all, why I'm here -- it was interesting to observe RAGBRAI from a driver's perspective.

No comments: