Sunday, July 19, 2009

A sweet ride to Red Oak


RAGBRAI kicked off today with glorious weather and, for me, a mental health ride to Red Oak. I found the 52-mile journey most pleasant. The difficulty of the uphill rides was surpassed by the pleasure of the downhill runs.

I arrived in Red Oak shortly after noon after maintaining a 10 mph pace, including stops. I averaged 14.2 mph and completed the route in 3:39:36 -- a really good pace for me.

Just about everyone is in now. Katy and Andrew Borders and Brian Farrell just arrived to join the ride. The only mechanical issues I've heard of were Erik Albinson's numerous flats. A visit to the bike mechanic upon entering Red Oak uncovered shards of glass that was remedied by replacing his tires.

We're camping at Southwestern Community College and I'm pleased to be pirating their electricity and wireless Internet. I'm regretting, however, that my camper is leaking water.

Tomorrow we're off to Greenfield, a 72.6 mile journey with 5,096 feet of climb. Tonight's forecast calls for partly cloudy and 57 degrees. Tomorrow in Greenfield, mostly sunny and 79. If this weather pattern continues, everyone will do RAGBRAI.

No comments: