Thursday, July 23, 2009

Zero percent


Hey! Lonnie here writing under Ryan's account, since I can't get mine to work on his computer and I can't access the internet on mine. I promise to catch you up just as soon as I have reliable access. Photos too.

Suffice it to say, we've had an interesting week -- so far.

Simpson College gave its best effort to capitalize on Tuesday's ride into Indianola, but CoeBRAI jersey day stole the show. It rained as we were exiting Greenfield, but the sky finally cleared around 4 p.m. and the sun joined RAGBRAI.

In Indianola, we were expertly hosted by Coe parents Bill and Sherrie Engel, who teamed up with Coe parents Dave and Ellen Wellborn to provide an amazing meal. From there it was on to Chariton, where we didn't have a host. I drove the camper to secure a spot and biked half-way back -- an interesting experience, to say the least.

Though the forecast called for zero percent chance of rain, a thunderstorm greeted us this morning at 5 a.m. It cleared off quickly and allowed around 15 of us -- not me, but many of them -- to complete the optional century. Among the century riders was Bob Untiedt, who sagged Wednesday with a sore knee and contemplated going home. I still don't know what to make of his feat.

We're now in Ottumwa, hosted by Cornell grads and Coe parents Mike and Janet Vinyard. More rain in the late afternoon served only to dampen the recently dried tents. We enjoyed another amazing meal and were joined by future Coe Hall of Famer Tim Vinyard.

Tomorrow we're off to Mount Pleasant and the weather forecast looks promising. I'll believe it when I see it.

No comments: