Monday, May 7, 2007

In due time


I'm really pleased to see some of you starting to use this blog. I think it's a great way to communicate and get to know one another. Soon enough I'll begin offering packing advice (less is more), training tips (if I can make it, anyone can) and other words of wisdom (if a stick gets lodged between your spokes, get off the bike to remove it) for the RAGBRAI virgins among us.

Meanwhile, I'm tending to more urgent matters, like ensuring we are registered. I lost a lot of sleep over last week's lottery scare, but all's well that ends well. We got through Coe's commencement yesterday and I am anxious to embrace the slower pace of May Term and summer. This week I'm focusing on finalizing our jersey orders. If you haven't yet done so, please click on the CoeBRAI tab and select "jersey order." Orders will be submitted on Friday to ensure delivery in time for RAGBRAI.

Kate Rose and I have also begin contacting our hosts by telephone to get a better feel for what they have to offer and what their expectations are. I shouldn't have been surprised that people in the Coe family would be so generous. Iowa hospitality really shines on RAGBRAI, and the hosts we've talked with so far are fired up to make our stays in their towns and on their lawns as comfortable as possible.

The official Coe alumni gathering will be held July 25 in Cedar Falls, but we're also covered for dinner the next night in Independence. Our hosts there are planning a barbeque pork loin feast for Team CoeBRAI. I'm sure it goes without saying that we'll show our appreciation to all our hosts by respecting their property.

I haven't had much opportunity to get on my bike since four of us rode to Central City, but I hope to rectify that very soon. Friday's rain scared me off, but I'm ready to try it again this week. Feel free to join whoever shows up outside Clark Racquet Center at noon. I'm also free Saturday and open to suggestions for group rides. How about we pay a visit to our rivals at Cornell?

P.S. As for the question of how much cash to carry, it depends on who you ask and how you experience RAGBRAI. $30/day is a good ballpark figure, from my experience.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I sure am glad to know you can sleep again...Thanks for taking care of us and some of the worry.

I really appreciate your organizational experience allowing us to have a logistically painless tour of Iowa.

Gary Van Rooyan said...

I echo Steve's comments and want to thank you for all your hard work. Without the Coe team, I would likely never get to experience RAGBRAI. We have been trying for three years to get our registration accepted, without success (I have never won the Texas lottery either). For about three or four years before that we did not even register because the logistic's problems for us seemed so daunting. I can't even begin to tell you how excited we are to finally be IN.

Steve said...

Lonnie,

I'll welcome your advice on packing and the tricks you have learned over the years.

For example. Will it be better to pack bike clothes for each day of the week or will we be able to wash them (but especially get them dry) every day?

I can't quite imagine sharing a washing machine with 10,000 of my closest friends and am really resisting the idea of ordering $300 worth of bike shorts to have a new pair for each day. ouch.

Steve