Monday, May 21, 2007

Iowa Boy on Coe bike writers

After a long career as a feature columnist and co-host of RAGBRAI for the Des Moines Register, Chuck Offenburger is now writing from his farm home near Cooper in Greene County, Iowa. His latest column features the May Term "Bicycle Writing" class being taught by Coe rhetoric instructor Kerrie Miller. Another version of the column can be found on the Raccoon River Valley Trail Web site.

As you're training for RAGBRAI, don't forget to brush up on the song "I Want to Go Back to Coe Again." If we run into Chuck along the way, and chances are good that we will, he'll expect us to sing it.

2 comments:

Gary Van Rooyan said...

You've got me on that one. I know I went to Coe "oh so many years ago" (Class of 1968) but my memory can't be that bad. For the life of me, I cannot remember the words to "I want to go back to Coe Again" - assuming I ever knew them. Can you post them for me (us)?

Lonnie said...

I want to go back to Coe again,
The College of the West;
Back to Voorhees Hall once more,
The chapel and the old bookstore.
I want to go back to Coe again, The college o the West;
I want to go back I’ve got to go back
To Coe again!

At old Coe College, in Cedar Rapids,
We sling-a da ink and push-a-da pen along.
At old Coe College, in Cedar Rapids
We sling-a-da ink and push-a-da pen along.
We sling-a-da ink, sling-a-da ink,
Push-a-da pen, Push-a-da pen,
Sling-a-da ink and push-a-da pen along;
At old Coe College, in Cedar Rapids,
We sling-a-da ink and push-a-da pen along.